THE SHIFT WORKER COMMITTEE SHALL:
- Supply information and education to SGEU’s Bargaining Units and their members on shift work issues.
- Help employees and workplaces to improve their work settings and environment.
- Develop, review and recommend union policies and contract language concerning issues of shift work to bargaining units and Convention.
- Examine all issues and the effects of shift work on the member’s Union participation and health as well as their work, home, and community lives.
- Develop educational material and seminars for members, specific to shift work and its effects, and devise a mechanism to deliver the information to our members.
- Encourage bargaining committees to achieve altered hours of work schedules that will minimize the negative effects of shift work. Work to improve provincial and federal legislation on shift work.
- Encourage NUPGE and the SFL to establish a national network of unions, shift workers and employers.
- Monitor shift work related issues.
- Liaise with the Workers’ Compensation Board to identify issues and resolutions on the effects, both psychological and physical, of shift work on shift work employees.
- Liaise with the Long Term Disability Committee to identify issues and resolutions on the effects, both psychological and physical, of shift work on shift work employees.
- Work in conjunction with the OH&S/E Committee to organize and host a biennial conference in odd numbered years.
- Identify issues and resolutions to enable shift workers to participate more fully in union activities.
Bonnie McRae (Public Service/Chair)
Mike Henselmann (Crowns)
Sherri Hanson (Health)
Louise Pederson (Education)
Bonnita Young (Community Services)
Sharon Johnston (Retail/Regulatory)
Carol Yuzik (Equity)
Kelly Diebel - Staff Advisor